Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Back Into the Swing of Things

I realize that I've been absent from blogging for quite some time. To say it's been a busy year is an understatement. I have a new job this year as a 2nd and 3rd grade EAL (English as an additional Language) teacher, so I've been trying to get used to my new role and spend as much time with my little family as possible. So far, I am loving my new job. Basically, I support EAL students (kiddos whose first language is not English). This means, I run around all day going from classroom to classroom...but I love being in all of the different classrooms and working with teachers to support these students. I will admit, I miss having my "own" class of students to bond with, but a plus is that I see different students all day.


                                                       


The Chinese just celebrated the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival. One of my friends hosted a lovely little moon party full of DIY flower crowns, delicious treats including both moon cakes and macaroons (perfect mix!), and of course...great company. From my understanding, the moon festival was originally celebrated to "give thanks" to the moon and a changing of seasons. Families get together and eat moon cakes which is the special desert of this holiday. The students at our school even got to make their own moon cakes in Chinese class. 



Beautiful Moon Festival party (Brittany even painted us our own full moons!)


My friend, Laura, just made a mini visit to China! I feel so blessed to have had family and friends visit us since we moved to China over 3 years ago. Laura arrived on last weekend and I was able to show her a little bit of China. We ate some yummy Chinese food, got a foot massage, visited a temple, showed her around school and our neighborhood. I'm so very thankful that she could spend time with us! 



Visiting a nearby temple


Sampling tanghulu (candied crabapples)


My favorite noodle place


Sawyer is walking up a storm. He's been walking consistently for a couple of weeks, I'm so proud! I can't believe how quickly he's growing before my eyes. I swear sometimes I look at him and see a little boy...what happened to my baby!? 



 


Two weeks from Friday is our first vacation since being back at school. We have off for a week and we will be traveling to Thailand for a conference in Bangkok and also going to Koh Lanta with some friends. I have been dreaming of mango sticky rice, fruit shakes, and the beach for the last couple of weeks.





Happy hump day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment