Thursday, February 5, 2015

Two Nights in Taipei

Last weekend we had a fast and furious trip to Taipei. I had a two day conference for work and Kurt and Sawyer tagged along. We had an interesting beginning to our trip. As we were checking in, the airline rep. wouldn't accept my doctor's note (the same one I used for Bali explaining that I am fit to fly) forcing us to go see a doctor at the airport! 
Side note: As the rep. is explaining this to me, Sawyer's on my hip and I'm wrestling him with my one free hand as he's doing ninja moves to escape (apparently my mommy cat-like reflexes weren't enough to convince the rep. that I was "fit to fly.") 
I was not a happy camper, since I had my mind set on a blueberry muffin from Starbucks and this interfered with my grand plans. After paying almost $100.00 for a doctor to literally hold a stethoscope to my belly and ask me the first day of my last period, I was presented a doctor's note that was deemed "acceptable" to the airline. Needless to say, I never got my blueberry muffin :( Luckily, we got to our gate, just as it was time to board. 

 The flight was only about an hour and twenty minutes... not too shabby when flying with an active toddler. Sawyer is obsessed with all things transportation, so he was in heaven when he saw all of the planes and trucks whizzing by when we were waiting for our flight. 




Our first night we ate at a popular restaurant that's been around since the 80's. In the window, you can watch the chefs prepare the dumplings from scratch. They were hands down the best dumplings I've ever had! We take our food pretty seriously when we travel to a new country ;) 









Some of these pictures are repeats from my Instagram. I didn't get a chance to take too many photos since it was such a quick trip. Kurt and Sawyer explored the Taipei Zoo on Saturday while I was at the conference. It was only 2 USD to get in, and Kurt said it was huge.  

We loved the little bit we saw of Taipei and would love to go back to explore more of Taiwan. I love how the city was set up. It reminded me of Hong Kong, but much more laid back. Strangers were helpful and kind. We couldn't believe that cars actually STOPPED for us and let us cross the street (something we are not used to living here in China. Even when we have a green cross-walk, we have to double triple check both ways before crossing). It was also nice being able to understand the language (ok...to a degree) since it is also Mandarin. 

Taipei American School was huge and reminded me of a real US high school (brick building with a retaining wall around it)



Overall, I'm really glad we were able to see a little bit of Taipei. My conference was great and I took away a lot from it (always a plus). I am glad to be back and am looking forward to Chinese New Year coming up since we will be staying home and just relaxing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment